Swans Through the Seasons

Pictures and Journal - Tristan and Isolde
Sub Title:The Observer

May 9: What a difference a week makes - Tristan gave Isolde a bite on her neck this morning when she came too close to "his" pile of food. It didn't bother her in the least... she just glided 'round a few centimeters to the other side and continued to munch happily on his, then returning to her own. She can handle him nicely!

Breakfast Time (May 7)
A delight to find that both youngsters now eat together - they happily tucked their little faces into the grain in the water. Isolde has a very good appetite!

Showing Off (May 7)
After watching them for a very short time, you sure don't have to ask which one is the male! :) Tristan does the signature series of snorts, stretches his wings, and proclaims, "See how great I am?!" the moment he's near Isolde. and, true to Swan Tradition, she carries on with her own affairs, not really paying undue attention to all the noise and fluffing.

Earlier on May 7: All was well with our "kids" this morning... naughty Papa Swan was swimming menacingly along the shore with the two youngsters just above on the ground - he didn't really seem bent on attack....just asserting himself. About 5 minutes later, someone appeared toward the end nearer Nature House with food and he took off without hesitation. The youngsters headed right into the water, and I noticed when Papa Swan finished eating, he swam right back over to his side of the lagoon. It's probably good they're getting some experience with milder chasing before the "real warriors" (Boy and the Big Brother) arrive!! Little Isolde brushed her bill against Tristan's neck today - that's how close they are now.

May 3: Tristan and Isolde have definitely bonded - I took a picture of them this morning, swimming in tandem, turning together, and just having a good time.

May 2: What a pleasant sight greeted me on going down to the Lagoon about 8:45 this morning.... Tristan curled up just above the concrete slope toward the South Beach side of the lagoon, and little Isolde curled up exactly the same not a metre away on the water. I greeted them both and was happy to note it didn't merit more than one eye popped open from each, then closed again. I continued on to see Mama and Papa Swan,then Precious and Marlika. On returning to the beach area I founbd both 'youngsters'in the water, again fairly close. They aren't exactly at the side-by-side stage, but you can see they're comfortable in each other's presence.

May 1: Both little swans fine! Out on the water, in spite of the choppy waves, and clearly enjoying themselves. They were a bit closer (maybe two metres) for a while this morning, facing each other, then drifted a little.