Swans Through the Seasons

Morning of Feb 11 at the Lagoon
Sub Title:Precious, Conquering Hero

I went to the Lagoon this morning to check out all our swans - what a treat to spend time where it's so beautiful. It was encouraging at least for one morning, to see everyone who had a dog, brought them on a leash. One older lady has a beautiful, friendly animal with nice eyes -- he's 17 years old and a real charmer - I almost felt guilty when he came up and was so friendly - you just couldn't help giving him a pat and a nice word. Of course, these are not the people who create the problems!

The Brothers looked fine, and were happily nipping at Tweety every time he came within reach!

Mum and Dad Swan are hovering more often near their old nesting area... pretty soon, they'll be staking out their spot. I only hope they choose wisely.

Precious and Marlika are still hanging out around the wetlands area these days, and also eyeing a nesting place. They both came pedalling over double-time this morning, and talked their little hearts out. Marlika's quite the conversationalist and can go on for ages! Precious was just dying for an arm-wrestle; when I figured he had had enough, I kept walking but he followed in the water all around the shore until we passed Nature House. He continued to open and close his bill until I let him have a few more pulls, followed by much fluffing, a wing-flourish and a long, deep snort....... swan-language for "I won!!"

Marlika serenely watched all of this, gently snorting her own little thoughts.

Then, they both headed over, wings up, to torment the other swans.